The building at 52 O Street NW in Washington, DC was built in 1914. At that time, the neighborhood was a remote, industrial part of town. The building was designed by architect Clement Didden, who’d previously assisted Richard Morris Hunt in the design of landmarks including the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Over the years, the building housed a meat-packing company, a plumbing company, a Hecht’s furniture factory, and Decca Records. (More on the building’s history here.)
52 O Street was converted into artist studios in 1978 by Eric Rudd. Rudd felt there was a shortage of affordable space for Washington-based artists. It was, apparently, simple to convert the warehouse into art studios, because of its open, flexible spaces and high ceilings. Marty Youmans purchased the building in 2003 and continues to maintain it as a community for DC’s working artists. You can visit our contact page to ask about studio or event space.
52 O Street Alumni
Some amazing artists have worked at 52 O Street over the years. Below, find a selection of links to the work of some of our alumni.